Following our research for the Exhibition
this April and May at the Museum of Barnstaple and
North Devon, our History Page is being revised. It
will eventually contain all the new information that
we have collated and discovered.
The Exhibition was about the history and cultural connections of Manning's Pit.
We do not know exactly when the field became known as Manning's Pit. When the Pilton Estate was sold in 1849 the field we now know as Manning's Pit was a part of a larger field, or collection of fields, called Northfields, but by the beginning of the twentieth century, if not well before, it was called Manning's Pit by locals.
History is an ongoing process and in the
short time that we had to prepare the Exhibition we
have only scratched the surface, so if anyone can
contribute more information we hope they will contact
The Golden Lion